This course covers an extensive variety of legal issues encountered in education settings, with an emphasis on legal issues impacting public primary and secondary school districts and public colleges and universities.
Topics covered include the following:
(1) freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and establishment clause issues involving students, school employees, and school property;
(2) gender equity, affirmative action, desegregation, and other student discrimination issues in the school setting, as well as discrimination and civil rights issues impacting school employees;
(3) issues involving due process, tenure, academic freedom, and student and employee discipline;
(4) state laws impacting the operation of educational entities such as open meeting, conflict of interest, and public records laws; and
(5) federal legislation applicable to schools such as No Child Left Behind, the Equal Access Act, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.