Wed Mar 04 2015   
J.D. with Advanced Standing

Securing Employment in the U.S.

We believe that earning a JD through our accelerated program will have a very positive impact on your career - and a much more positive impact than an LLM, which many employers view unfavorably, especially compared to a JD. In the accelerated JD program, you will earn the same JD degree as traditional students - and yet get to start your career one year sooner than those on the standard JD track. In addition, you have the added advantage of being trained as a lawyer in another jurisdiction. Moreover, in addition to another year of tuition, and additional year of law school comes with real opportunity costs in terms of delay in being able to begin your career and to get real experience as an attorney.


That said, regardless of where you attend law school, securing permanent employment in the United States can sometimes be a challenge for an international student due to immigration laws and quotas.


Therefore, we encourage our international students - students who possess a student visa and no authorization to work in the United States - to expand their career search and utilize their network to identify career options in their home country or outside of the United States. If you work for a multinational, you can then position yourself for an assignment in the U.S. or elsewhere around the globe.


As an international student, you will need to secure authorization to work off campus. This authorization is vital to maintain compliance with your immigration status.


The precise requirements and restrictions applicable to you will vary depending on whether you enter the US on an F-1 visa or a J-1 visa.


If you enter the US on an F-1 visa, you must apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) work while you are enrolled in the JD program. To work in the U.S. upon graduation, you must apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT). OPT allows you to work in the U.S. for up to one year upon graduation without sponsorship from your employer and conversion to another visa type. You must apply for OPT no later than 90 days prior to your graduation date. For more information about CPT and OPT, please contact the Office of International Student Programs and Services (ISPS).


If you enter the US on a J-1, your summer work is classified as academic training and you are eligible to work in the United States for a total of 18 months, including work commencing after completion of your studies. The work must be related to your academic field but you are not required to register for academic credit. For information about J-1 academic training, please contact the Office of International Student Programs and Services (ISPS).

Updated: 06/14/2013