Associate Dean for Information Services;
Professor of Law and Information Resources & Library Science
1981, M. Law Libr., University of Washington
1980, J.D., Gonzaga University
1976, B.A., University of Miami
Prior to joining the University of Arizona's James E. Rogers College of law in 1996, Professor Chiorazzi was a reference librarian and senior instructor in legal research at Duke University School of Law (1981-1989). Subsequently, he served as the deputy director of the Law Library and legal research instructor at the Boston College School of Law (1989-1996).
Professor Chiorazzi's research interests include legal history, issues in law librarianship, and the use of technology in the teaching of legal research. Since 1999 he has served as the editor of Legal Reference Services Quarterly.
- Commentaries on Hicks’ ‘Teaching Legal Bibliography’: With an Addendum by Robert Berring, 28 Legal Reference Services Q. 9 (2009) (co-author, with Shaun Esposito).
- Editorial, The Next Twenty-Five Years of LRSQ, 25 Legal Reference Services Q. No. 4, at 1 (2006).
- Prestatehood Legal Materials: A Fifty-State Research Guide, including New York City and the District of Columbia (2005) (co-editor, with Marguerite Most, and author of Preface xxix).
- Editorial, A Parable of the Power and the Danger of the Internet, 22 Legal Reference Services Q. No. 2/3, at 1 (2003).
- Law Library Collection Development in the Digital Age (2002) (co-editor, with Gordon Russell).
- Books, Bytes, Bricks and Bodies: Thinking About Collection Use In Academic Law Libraries, 21 Legal Reference Services Q. 1 (2002), reprinted in Law Library Collection Development in the Digital Age 1 (Michael Chiorazzi & Gordon Russell eds., 2002), and also available at http://www.law.arizona.edu/Library/research/guides/paretoarticle.cfm?page=research.
- Editorial, Just Another Wednesday Night: "And You May Ask Yourself, Well, How Did I Get Here?", 18 Legal Reference Services Q. No. 4, at 1 (2001).
- Law Librarian/Legal Information Specialist, in Chapter 24, Lawyers Talk about Their Jobs, in Kenney Hegland, Introduction to the Study and Practice of Law 394 (3d ed., 2000)..
- Editorial, A Changing of the Guard, 19 Legal Reference Services Q. No. 1, at 1 (1999).
- Law Librarianship: Historical Perspectives (1996) (co-editor, with Laura N. Gasaway, & author of William R. Roalfe: Builder of Libraries, Scholar, Association Animal 215). [The article is also available at: http://www.law.arizona.edu/Library/research/guides/lawlibrarian.cfm?page=research.]
- Book Review, 82 L. Lib. J. 551 (1990) (reviewing K. Carrick, LEXIS: A Legal Research Manual (1989) and F. Shapiro, LEXIS: The Complete User's Guide (1989)).
- Book Review, Duke L. Mag. 52 (Winter 1988) (reviewing N. McFeeley, The Appointment of Judges: The Johnson Presidency (1987)).
- Francois-Xavier Martin: Printer, Lawyer, Jurist, 80 L. Lib. J. 63 (1988), reprinted in Duke L. Mag. 4 (Winter 1989).
- Empirical Studies in Civil Procedure: A Selected Annotated Bibliography, 51 Law & Contemp. Probs. 87 (1988) (with others).
- Book Review, 3 J. Paralegal Educ. 49 (1986) (reviewing Christina L. Kunz et al., Thw Process of Legal Research. (1986)).
- Tax Reform During President Reagan's First Four Years: A Selective Bibliography, 48 Law & Contemp. Probs. 301 (1985).
- Selected Annotated Bibliography, in United States Immigration Policy (Richard R. Hofstetter ed., 1984).
- Statistics in Litigation: A Selective Bibliography, 46 Law & Contemp. Probs. 297 (1983).
- Speaker, Law Library Directors: Who Are We Today? Librarian, Administrator, Faculty Member (AALS 2008 Mid-Year Meeting, Cleveland, Ohio, June 2, 2008).
- Organizer and Speaker, AALL Leadership and Management Institute (Tucson, Ariz., Mar. 2007).
- Speaker, Publishing Legal History: The Prestatehood Project (Westpac Conference, Las Vegas, Nev., Sept. 25, 2006).
- Speaker, Paradigms Lost: Thinking About Library Space in An Evolving Information Environment (ABA Bricks and Bytes Conf., Seattle, Wash., Mar. 24, 2006).
- Speaker, Trouble Ahead, Trouble Behind: Meeting the Challenges of an Increasingly Electronic Publishing Environment (AALL Annual Meeting, San Antonio, Tex., July 2005).
- Speaker, Creating and Maintaining Legal History Collections: Collection Development and Analysis Issues for the Law Librarian (AALL Annual Meeting, Boston, Mass., July 12, 2004).
- Moderator, Managing a Law School Web Page (AALL Annual Meeting, Seattle, Wash., July 14, 2003).
- Speaker, Thinking about Collection Use in the Digital Age (ABA Facilities Conference, Bricks and Bytes and Continuous Renovation, Boston, Mass., Mar. 19, 2003).
- Speaker, Legal Research Instruction at the University of Arizona College of Law (Ariz. L. Lib. Assn., Tucson, Ariz., Apr. 26, 2001).
- Paper, Access vs. Ownership: The Economic Effect of the Changing Information Environment In Academic Law Libraries (Not a Box but a Window: Law Libraries and Legal Education in a Virtual World Conf., Univ. Toronto Faculty of Law, Toronto, Canada, Feb. 24, 2001).
- Keynote Speaker, The Need for Library Cooperation and Continuing Education (Ariz. Assn. L. Lib. Annual Meeting, Phoenix, Ariz., May 21, 1998).
- Panelist, Taking a Look Behind Us: A History of Law Libraries and Law Librarians (SW. Assn. L. Lib./Ariz. Assn. L. Lib. Jt. Annual Meeting, Tucson, Ariz., Apr. 4, 1997).
- Moderator and Panelist, Meeting the Legal Research and Writing Needs of the Physically Challenged (AALL Annual Meeting, Pittsburgh, Pa., July 1995).
- Moderator and Coordinator, Louisiana Legal History (AALL Annual Meeting, New Orleans, La., July 1991).
- Moderator and Coordinator, Early American Law Book Publishing (AALL Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, Minn., July 1990).
- Panelist, Ethical Dilemmas in Law Librarianship (AALL Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, Minn., July 1990).
- Speaker, Teaching Computer Assisted Legal Research to Groups with Special Needs: Law Review, Moot Court, CLE and Others (Mead-Veralex Graylyn Conf., Effective Teaching of Legal Research in a Technological Environment, Nov. 4, 1989).
- Paper, Francois-Xavier Martin: Printer, Lawyer, Jurist (AALL Annual Meeting, July 1986).