Reference Librarian & Adjunct Assistant Professor of Legal Research
1984, J.D., graduated with high distinction, University of Arizona College of Law
1977, M.A., Library Science, University of Missouri - Columbia
1975, B.A., Anthropology, graduated magna cum laude, University of Missouri - Columbia
Ms Sandwell-Weiss has a strong background in various areas of the law and in utilizing computers for legal research. After receiving her M.A. in Library Science, she joined the Air Force. She then was selected to participate in the Air Force's Funded Legal Education Program, graduating with high distinction from the University of Arizona College of Law. She served as an Air Force Judge Advocate for 14 years before her retirement. After working at Texas Wesleyan University School of Law in Fort Worth, Texas, she returned to the University of Arizona College of Law in 2000. An inactive member of the Arizona State Bar, she also belongs to the American Association of Law Libraries (AALL) and the Arizona Association of Law Libraries (AzALL). Ms. Sandwell-Weiss has given presentations and written about the USA PATRIOT Act. She is currently the Chair of the Academic Law Libraries Special Interest Section (ALL-SIS) of the American Association of Law Libraries (AALL).
- The Evolution of Law Library Support to Law School Administrative and Staff Offices: What We are Doing and Why, 26 Legal Reference Services Q., No. 1/2, at 233 (2007), reprinted in Public Services in Law Libraries 233 (Barbara Bintliff & Lee F. Peoples eds., 2007).
- Putting Ideals Into Action: AALL Washington Affairs Office Is the Hub of Law Librarianship's Government Activity, 9 AALL Spectrum 12 (April 2005), also available at www.aallnet.org/products/pub_sp0504/pub_sp0504_Ideals.pdf.
- The USA PATRIOT Act Today: Proposed Legislation to Affect Anti-Terrorism and Individual Rights, 8 AALL Spectrum 10 (July 2004), also available at www.aallnet.org/products/pub_sp0407/pub_sp0407_PATRIOT.pdf.
- Select Bibliography: USA PATRIOT Act & Related Issues
- Libraries and the USA PATRIOT Act (a PowerPoint presentation; html version here).
- Researching Constitutional Law (PDF).
- Consumer Protection Legal Guide
- Arizona Residential Landlord - Tenant Law
- Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA)
- Military Legal Materials
- Legal Self-Help Publications
- Law Library Reference Resources Guide (originally compiled by Jennifer Murray, Library Intern).
- Hot Topic Sparks Better Understanding of USA PATRIOT Act, 7 AALL Spectrum 16 (Sept. 2002), also available at www.aallnet.org/products/pub_sp0209.pdf.
- Book Review, 94 L. Lib. J. 328 (reviewing Teresa J. Reid Rambo, and Leanne J. Pflaum, Legal Writing by Design: A Guide to Great Briefs and Memos (2001)), also available at www.aallnet.org/products/2002-21.pdf.
- Introduction to Law School Materials
- Co-presenter, Evolving from Snoozing to Using: Increasing Student-Centered Learning Using Educational Technology (AALL Annual Mtg., Portland, Or., July 14, 2008).
- Co-presenter, An Oasis for Collaborative Endeavors: Tools for Law Faculty, Librarians, and Students (CALI Conference for Legal Computing, Las Vegas, Nev., June 20, 2007) (with Shaun Esposito & Sarah Gotschall).
- Panelist, Newsletters, Blogs, and Email Alerts: Making Your Communications Rise to the Challenge (AALL Annual Mtg., New Orleans, La., 16 July 2007).
- Presenter, The USA PATRIOT Act and Beyond (SaddleBrook Democratic Club, Tucson, Ariz., Oct. 13, 2007).
- Co-presenter, Responding to Legal Process in the Library - a Post-PATRIOT Act Primer (AALL Annual Mtg., New Orleans, La., 17 July 2007) (with Susan Nevelow Mart).
- Speaker, Law Librarians & Government Advocacy: The USA PATRIOT Act and Beyond (SWALL Annual Meeting, Austin, Tex, Apr. 6, 2006).
- Moderator, Defending Democratic Values in a Culture of Secrecy (AALL Annual Mtg., St. Louis, Mo., July 9, 2006).
- Panel Speaker, The USA PATRIOT Act (Rep. Kolbe's Forum, Tucson, Ariz., Jan. 14, 2004).
- Speaker, The USA PATRIOT Act (Young at Heart Club, Jewish Community Ctr., Tucson, Ariz., Jan. 8, 2004).
- Speaker, Using Dreamweaver and Using Fileman (Council of Newsletter Editors Newsletter Workshop, AALL Convention, Boston, Mass., July 10, 2004).
- Speaker, Libraries & the USA PATRIOT Act (Information Resources & Library Science graduate class, Univ. of Ariz., Oct. 8, 2003).
- Speaker, Legal Research on Westlaw (Information Resources & Library Science graduate class, Univ. of Ariz., Nov. 19, 2003).
- Speaker, Libraries & the USA PATRIOT Act (Arizona Library Association Forum, Prescott, Ariz., Apr. 25, 2003).
- Speaker, Libraries & the USA PATRIOT Act (Arizona Civil Liberties Union Forum, James E. Rogers College of Law, Sep. 13, 2003).
- Panel Speaker, Libraries & the USA PATRIOT Act (Arizona Library Association Annual Conference, Phoenix, Ariz., Dec. 10, 2003).
- Speaker, Libraries & the USA PATRIOT Act (Information Resources & Library Science graduate class, Univ. of Ariz., Oct. 2, 2002).
- Speaker, What the College of Law Library Can Provide Local Attorneys (Pima County Chapter, Arizona State Bar Solo Practioners' Section, Tucson, Ariz., June 19, 2001).
- Speaker, Information on the College of Law Library (Pima County Chapter, Arizona State Bar Solo Practioners' Section, Tucson, Ariz., June 20, 2000).
- Speaker, Copyright and the Web (American Society of Information Science Student Organization and Digital Imaging Course, School of Library and Information Science, Univ. of N. Tex., Denton, Tex., Apr. 30, 1999).