Where Can Veterans Find More Information and Assistance?
Veterans' Employment and Training Service (VETS): www.dol.gov/vets/welcome.html
- National Office: U.S. Department of Labor, 200 Constitution Avenue, N.W., Room S-1325, Washington, D.C. 20210.
- Arizona Office: Veterans' Employment and Training Service, U.S. Department of Labor, P.O. Box 6123-SC760E, Phoenix AZ 85005; 1400 West Washington, Suite 123, Phoenix, Arizona 85007; www.dol.gov/vets/aboutvets/contacts/main.htm#ariz.
- Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) Employee/Employer Advisor (www.dol.gov/elaws/userra0.htm): Section of VETS website with USERRA information and links to other resources. This website contains a series of questions to determine if the veteran is covered by USERRA.
- A Non-Technical Resource Guide to the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA): A 19 page PDF document, dated March 2003, containing basic information concerning USERRA.
Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR): www.esgr.org/
- National Office: 1555 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 200, Arlington, Virginia 22209-2405, (800) 336-4590.
- Arizona Office:
- Doreen Burton , Program Support Specialist, Bus: 602-629-4387, Fax: 602-267-2431, Email: email@example.com
- Bruce Hamilton , Program Support Specialist, Bus: 520-750-5891, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lawrence Wise , Program Support Specialist, Bus: 602-629-4031, Fax: 602-267-2431, Email: email@example.com
- For more information on other states or an updated list of coordinators, go to http://esgr.org/site/Contact/tabid/161/Default.aspx and select your state from the dropdown list or map.
- USERRA: http://esgr.org/site/USERRA/tabid/75/Default.aspx
- Handouts: http://esgr.org/site/USERRA/Handouts/tabid/95/Default.aspx
- Sample Letters and Forms: http://esgr.org/site/USERRA/SampleLettersandForms/tabid/177/Default.aspx
- US Office of Personnel Management - Job Rights of Federal Employees Who Enter the Uniformed Services: www.usajobs.opm.gov/ei54.asp.
- Frequently Asked Questions for Reservists Being Called to Active Duty: www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_911_2.html
Other Materials Available at the Law Library Concerning USERRA and Veterans' Rights
- Construction and Application of Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (38 U.S.C.A. §§4301-4333), 175 A.L.R. Fed. 437 (2002).
- The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act, George R. Wood & Ossai Miazad eds. (ABA 2009). Location: Law KF 3460 .U53 2009.
- The USERRA Manual: Uniformed Services Employment & Reemployment Rights, Kathryn Piscitelli & Edward Still (Thomson West 2008). Location: Law Reference KF 3460 .P57 2008.
- Federal Veterans Laws, Rules and Regulations (LexisNexis 2008). Location: Law Reference KF 7709 .F31.
- Veterans Benefits Manual, (Barton F. Stichman, et al,, eds., LexisNexis 2008). Location: Law Reference KF 7709 .V47.
- Veteran Preference Employment Statutes: A State-by-State and Federal Government Handbook, V.I. Brown (McFarland 2000). Location: KF 3460 .Z95 B76 2001.
- Federal Procedural Forms vol. 18, § 68:151 to § 68:173 (Thomson West 2007). Contains procedural information, complaint forms, etc., for litigation of USERRA issues in federal court. Updated by pocket parts. Location: Law Reserve KF 8836 .F43 v.18 2007.
Federal Regulations Implementing USERRA
- 5 CFR §§ 353 (www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_05/5cfr353_05.html): Restoration to Duty from Uniformed Service or Compensable Injury. Uniformed Service. Deals with federal employees only.
- 5 CFR § 1208 (www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_05/5cfr1208_05.html): Practices and Procedures for Appeals Under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act and the Veterans Employment Opportunities Act. Procedures for the Merit Systems Protection Board, which hears cases from federal employees.
Arizona Revised Statutes and Regulations Concerning Veterans Rights
- A.R.S. § 26-167: www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/26/00167.htm. Employment discrimination against national guard members prohibited; physical or economic duress to deter enlistment prohibited; violation; classification
- A.R.S. § 26-168: www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/26/00168.htm. Absence from employment for military duty; vacation and seniority rights; violation; classification
- A.R.S. § 38-298: www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/38/00298.htm. Restoration to position following military service
- A.R.S. § 38-610: www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/38/00610.htm. Leave of absence for military training; definition
- Arizona Administrative Code - Several sections of Title 2, Chapter 5, Personnel Administration (www.azsos.gov/public_services/Title_02/2-05.htm), contain regulations concerning the use and computation of military leave for state employees.
Page Updated: 17 March 2010