Legal Links - International & Foreign
General International Law Research
- Air and Aviation Law Maintained by McGill University's Institute of Air and Space Law, this site contains links to important documents and international agreements concerning air and aviation law, i.e., Warsaw treaty, etc.
- Constitution Finder Maintained by the University of Richmond, this page contains links to constitutions around the world.
- EISEL (Electronic Information for International Law) - Maintained by the American Society of International Law (ASIL) with the goal of ensuring that web searchers can easily locate the highest quality primary materials, authoritative web sites and helpful research guides to international law on the Internet.
- Foreign Government Resources on the Web Contains links for each country organized by region; also has links to topical websites such as background information, constitutions, laws, and treaties, news, statistics, etc.
- Harvard Law School Library - Foreign & International Law: International Legal Studies Reference Contains links to reference guides on international legal reference and foreign and international law resources.
- Hieros Gamos Guide to International Law Contains links to principal international documents, treaties, and governmental agencies.
- International Organization Web Sites: Index Prepared and maintained by the Union of International Associations, this page is an index to the websites of 12,000 inter-governmental and international non-governmental organizations (IGOs and NGOs).
- International Trade Law Library Contains links to various documents on international trade.
- Lex Mercatoria Contains “the text of some of the more important treaties, conventions, model laws, rules aimed at harmonizing international trade/commerce, and sets of links to sites that are of interest for (the working of) international commerce.”
- LLRX - Guide to International Refugee Law Resources on the Web An article with links written by an information specialist currently undertaking independent research projects in the field of refugee and forced migration studies.
- Multilaterals Project An ongoing project by the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, this website has been designed to make the texts of international multilateral conventions and other instruments available; contains treaties in the areas of environmental protection, human rights, commerce and trade, laws of war and arms control, as well as some other historical documents.
- Research Guide to International Law on the Internet Prepared by a political science professor at the University of Bologna, this site organizes websites by subjects, such as peace & security, current conflicts & humanitarian crisis, peacekeeping operations, law of the sea, etc.; has not been updated since 1997, so some links won't work.
- Space Law Maintained by McGill University's Institute of Air and Space Law, this site contains links to important documents and international agreements concerning space law, i.e., the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, etc.
- Strategies for Locating Foreign Government Information on the Internet Prepared by the International Documents Librarian, Pennsylvania State University; rather than trying to be all-inclusive, this site presents four strategies to use to find this type of information with relevant links.
- Treaties in Force: A List of Treaties and Other International Agreements of the United States in Force on January 1, 1999 A PDF file of this 516 page document; may take a minute to load.
- United States Court of International Trade Contains information about the court, slip opinions, rules, etc.
- U.S. State Department Contains links
to information and history of the State Department, policies, news releases,
- US State Department, Bureau of Consular Affairs - Services Contains information on travel warnings, visas, services for Americans abroad, etc.
- Villanova International & Foreign Law Finder Contains links organized into International Law, Foreign Law, and Specific Topics.
- Amnesty International - USA Contains information about the organization, news releases, annual and other recent reports, links to local and regional chapters, etc.; has pages in Spanish and Arabic.
- American Society of International Law (ASIL) Contains information about ASIL, publications, meetings, etc.
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) Contains information about the IMF, news, publications, links to individual countries and their dealings with the IMF, etc.; has versions in French and Spanish.
- Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law & International Law An organization “concerned with all aspects of public international law, the law of international organizations, the international legal relations of the Federal Republic of Germany, constitutional and administrative law in other countries, and with comparative research in public law.”
- OPEC Online Contains information about OPEC, press releases, publications, etc.
- Organization for Security and Co-Operation in Europe (OSCE) Contains information about OSCE, news, publications, reports, etc.; has some information available in French, German, Italian, Russian, and Spanish.
- United Nations (UN) Home Page Contains
information about the UN, news, publications, meetings, etc.; has versions
in French, Arabic, Chinese, Spanish, and Russian.
- The International Court of Justice Contains information about the Court, links to all contentious cases and advisory opinions referred to the Court since 1946, press releases, dockets, etc.; has version in French.
- UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Contains information about UNHCR, news, statistics, reports, documents, maps, etc.
- United Nations Organizations Web Site Locator Contains alphabetical and classified listings of UN organizations, UN-related sites, etc.; has a French version.
- The World Bank Group Contains
information about the World Bank, news, publications, etc.; has versions
in Spanish, French, Portuguese, Japanese, and Russian.
- Global Banking Law Database (GBLD) A joint project of the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund, the GBLD consists of a collection of commercial banking, central bank, and deposit insurance laws of 39 countries translated into English. The laws are in Word and PDF format for viewing or downloading; they also may be located under 35 previously determined subject areas, where two countries' laws can be compared on the same screen. The site also links to related sites from the countries involved.
- World Trade Organization (WTO) Contains information about the WTO, news, publications, trade topics, etc.
- Organization of American States (OAS) Contains information about the OAS, news, publications, etc.; has versions in Spanish, French, and Portuguese.
- SICE - Foreign Trade Information
System SICE is the information technology arm of the Trade Unit of
the OAS; this website aims to provide the most complete information and
documents on trade in the Western Hemisphere as possible by centralizing
the location of public documents in the four official languages of the
OAS (English, Spanish, Portuguese and French). This website contains
trade agreements, investment treaties, information on intellectual property
rights and dispute settlement, and related links.
- SICE - Trade Agreements Links to multilateral and bilateral trade agreements, free trade agreements, etc.
- LLRX - Doing Legal Research in Canada An article with links written by a lawyer/law librarian working as the Coordinator, Information Services at the Bora Laskin Law Library at the Faculty of Law, University of Toronto.
- National Library of Canada - Canadian Government Information Contains links to Canadian national and state governments, legislatures, etc.; has a version in French.
- The Supreme Court of Canada Contains opinions of this court beginning in 1985.
- Federal Court of Canada Decisions Contains opinions in French and English of this court beginning in 1990; can find by Volume, date, name, docket number, through an analytical subject breakdown, or can search by keyword; has a version in French.
- Canadian Legal Resources on the WWW Maintained by barrister and solicitor, this website contains annotated links to Canadian government, legislative, and judicial websites and to related legal sites.
- Access to Justice Network Contains links to directories, legislative materials, and other legal information for Canada; can browse by many subject categories such as aboriginal peoples, citizenship, women, etc.; has some documents as well as links, many in French; has a version in French.
- An Introduction to the Mexican Legal System The introduction to The Mexican Legal System, 2d ed., 2000, by Francisco Avalos, the University of Arizona Law Library's Foreign and International Law Librarian.
- Gobierno de Mexico This Spanish website maintained by the Juridical Research Institute of the National Autonomous University of Mexico contains links to federal legislation, the executive, legislative, and judicial branches, and to state governments.
- Suprema Corte de Justicia de Mexico This Spanish website contains information about the history of the Court and news links.
- Marco Jurídico (Códigos, Estatutos, Leyes, y Reglamentos de los Estados Unidos Mexicanos) This Spanish website maintained by the Camara de Diputados contains links to the Mexican Constitution, statutes, regulations, etc.
- Sitios de Interés del Gobierno Mexicano This Spanish website maintained by the Chamber of Representatives contains links to government institutions and public services of Mexico.
European Union (EU)
- European Union in the US Maintained by the European Commission to the United States, this website contains links to information, news, documents, etc., about the EU, especially information concerning EU-US relations.
- European Environmental Agency (EEA) Contains information about the EEA, documents, studies, news, and links to European national environmental websites.
- European Union Internet Resources An extensive list of EU materials on the internet maintained by the Library, University of California, Berkeley.
- Europa The English version of the European Union's website; contains links to information about the EU, news, publications, legal documents, and links to EU institutions.
- EUROPARL: Web Server of the European Parliament Contains information about the European Parliament, news, issues, etc.
- Austrian Parliament Most of the website is in German; the “Welcome to the Austrian Parliament” link goes to several pages of material in English.
- An Overview of Estonian Law and Web Resources An article written by a reference librarian at the Tartu University Library.
- Constitutional Court of the Republic of Slovenia Contains the Constitution, information about the court, some case law, links to other European courts, etc.
- Ukranian Law and Legal Matters Contains links to bar associations and lawyer directories, substantive Ukranian law, legal search engines and database, etc.
- Her Majesty's Stationery Office This office publishes the Acts of Parliament and administers Crown Copyright; the site has links to the latest legislation from the UK, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales, and links to the Scottish, Welsh, and Northern Ireland Parliaments.
- Houses of Parliament Home Page Contains links to the House of Commons, House of Lords, information about Parliament, etc.
- Infolaw Gateway to the UK Legal Web Contains links to UK government agencies, lawyers, law associations, legal resources, etc.
- LLRX - A Guide to the UK Legal System An article with links by a Law Librarian at the University of Kent at Canterbury, UK.
- National Assembly for Wales Contains information about the Assembly, current legislation, news, etc.
- Northern Ireland Assembly Contains information about the Assembly, current legislation, news, etc.
- Scottish Parliament Website Contains information about the Parliament, current legislation, news, etc.
- South African Government Online Contains information about the South African national, provincial, and local government, news, legislation, etc.
- Bilingual Laws Information System (BLIS): The Database of the Laws of Hong Kong Contains a searchable database of the law of Hong Kong; also contains links to other legal material from Hong Kong.
- Brooker's: Court of Appeal Judgments Contains searchable database of judgments from the New Zealand Court of Appeal beginning in November 1995.