The IPLP LLM Program

The LLM (Masters of Law) program is designed to provide those who have already completed the basic law degree with an intensive one year course specializing in Indian and Indigenous peoples' law. The LLM program provides both academic and practical training in all three areas of the field - the International Law relating to Indigenous peoples, Federal Indian Law, and Tribal Law. Students in the program may choose to pursue a general course of study or may choose one of three concentrations: Critical Race Theory/Practice, Cultural Resources, or Human Rights.

Graduation Requirements
The LLM is a full-time, two semester program requiring 24 credit hours of course work. Students in the program must complete Federal Indian Law and either International Human Rights & Indigenous Peoples or International Human Rights. Students can select from a wide array of classes and design a course of study to meet the student's interests and career goals.

Criteria for Admission
All LLM candidates must be JD graduates of an ABA approved law school in the United States, or possess the first law degree from a foreign law school approved by the government or other accrediting authority in the nation in which it is located. Candidates for whom English is not their first language must demonstrate fluency in English (generally, TOEFL test scores of 600 or better are expected). The University of Arizona offers excellent short courses in English, which may be arranged at the student's cost prior to enrolling if a student's TOEFL is under the required level.

Applying to the LLM program | Tuition, costs and fees | Information for international students


Applying to the LLM Program

All LLM candidates must be JD graduates of an ABA approved law school in the United States, or possess the first law degree from a foreign law school approved by the government or other accrediting authority in the nation in which it is located. Candidates for whom English is not their first language must demonstrate fluency in English (generally, TOEFL test scores of 600 or better are expected). The University of Arizona offers excellent short courses in English, which may be arranged at the student's cost prior to enrolling if a student's TOEFL is under the required level.

We have moved to an on line application process and as of June 1, 2010, we no longer accept paper applications. The on line application is located at:


The system will require you to create an account and complete a profile information section.

To apply for the LLM program, select the link for the Indigenous Peoples Law & Policy Program LLP (there are still a few minor hiccups in the system regarding the two LLM programs and ours is popping up as LLP - Please DO NOT use the LLM link, as it takes you to the International Trade Program).  The on line process also includes payment of the $65 application fee.

In addition to the on line application itself, prospective students should submit directly to the IPLP Program office (IPLP Program, The University of Arizona James E. Rogers College of Law, P.O. Box 210176, Tucson, Arizona 85721-0176 U.S.A.):

Applications are accepted and admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis beginning September 1.  The annual application deadline is March 31st for the Fall Semester, although applications may be considered on a limited basis up to July15th (conditional on available space). Earlier applications are strongly encouraged, as only 8-12 students are accepted each year.  Financial support awards are made in April. The Admissions Committee ordinarily will not consider applications until all required information has been received.

Please note:  Our experience with respect to student immigration matters confirms the importance of the March 31st deadline, as international students can experience a lengthier admissions process due to changing immigration regulations. International applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as early as possible to avoid delays in the immigration paperwork process.

Candidates who accept the offer of admissions are required to pay a non-refundable US $250.00 seat deposit.  This deposit will be credited to your tuition account.  All students born after December 31, 1956 are required by UA to verify measles/rubella immunity. Important details pertaining to proof of immunization can be obtained from the UA Campus Health Care web site. Without proof of measles/rubella immunity on file with Campus Health Services, students will not be permitted to register for classes.

<- return to top


Tuition & Fees*

The Indigenous Peoples Law & Policy Program continues to be one of the best values in legal education. Students enrolled in the program receive both classroom and "hands on" training. For more information on tuition and fees, please see the Bursar's office page on the Law School's web site.

* Tuition and fees are subject to change.

Financial Aid
Federal financial aid may be available for U.S. citizens in the LLM program. Some forms of aid are need-based and others are not based upon financial need. Applicants are encouraged to look at the Rogers College of Law Financial Aid section for instructions on how to apply for financial aid, information on deadlines for applying for financial assistance, and information on how to apply for private non-governmental loans.

Additional information regarding the various financial aid programs available through the University of Arizona Office of Student Financial Aid.

To assist students in obtaining financial aid, Keyshia Conner serves as Senior Financial Aid Counselor for prospective and enrolled students at the Rogers College of Law. Ms. Conner can be reached by e-mail at

Scholarships & Fellowships
Because University and College of Law financial aid funds are extremely limited, full scholarships and fellowships in general are rarely available to students enrolling in the program. Partial awards (in the form of grants or tuition waivers) can be offered to a few LLM and SJD students each year. Applicants must find most of the financial assistance necessary for their travel, living and educational expenses from outside sources. To be considered for a scholarship/fellowship, please submit (with your application) a 1-2 page letter requesting to be considered for a scholarship and providing information you think is relevant to your financial situation.

The Graduate College has a number of links to extramural fellowships, searchable databases for grants and scholarships, and to other University resources that provide financial assistance.

Additionally, the International Student Office has a number of links that will lead to information on scholarship, internships and grant opportunities for international students.

<- return to top


Information for Foreign Students

Visa Requirements
International degree candidates are responsible for ensuring that they meet the requisite student visa requirements and regulations to effect their entry into the United States. The requirements vary depending upon the country of residence and citizenship. It will include proof of financial capacity for the candidate and/or dependents. This also includes, to meet IPLP admissions policy, a TOEFL score of 600 or above (or the computer based equivalent). While the immigration process is initiated by the issuance of an I-20 form by UA, it is the international candidate’s responsibility to secure proper documents to perfect their immigration status. Once you have received your I-20, please direct your questions relating to your immigration requirements to Joanne Lagasse-Long, Director, Office of International Student Programs and Services.

Mandatory Student Health Insurance
International degree candidates are required to enroll in the UA Campus Health Care plan. A variety of options are available and international candidates must consult with the available services. The UA Health Care website contains important student health care plan information and health care premiums/rates.

Social Security
The rules regarding a Social Security Number (SSN) have changed. You are only eligible to obtain an SSN if you are holding an F-1 visa and you have actual employment. Employment will need to be verified by the employer as well as the Designated School Official (DSO) at the International Student Programs and Services (ISPS) Office, located at 915 N. Tyndall. If you are an F-1 student and plan to be employed, you wil need the following documents to apply for an SSN:

  1. a completed application for a social security card. The application is available online or can be picked up at the Social Security Administration Office at 3500 N. Campbell Ave.
  2. a valid passport.
  3. your valid SEVIS I-20,
  4. your I-94 card,
  5. a letter from the DSO stating that you are authorized to engage in on-campus employment, the nature of the employment to be engaged in, and identifying the on-campus employer for whom you will be working, and
  6. a statement from your on-campus employer to prove that you are engaging in, or have secured, specific employment.

You may download any of the required forms to be included with your SSN application at the ISPS home page.

If you are an F-1 student receiving a scholarship, stipend, fellowship or any other type of monetary award that is over and beyond the cost of tuition and/or registration fees, you are not eligible for an SSN. This does not constitute employment. It is considered a cash award. If this is the case, you will need to apply for an Individual Tax Payer's Identification Number (ITIN) from the IRS. This number can be obtained by completing a Form W-7, "Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number" and submitting it, in person, along with the documents listed on the instructions. The ITIN is only for tax filing purposes. More information regarding an ITIN can be found at

The rules for obtaining an SSN are different if you hold a J-1 student visa. Please contact the ISPS at 520 621-4627 or email at for more information.

Summer Session: Introduction to American Legal Systems
International candidates from the common wealth and civil law jurisdictions are encouraged to take a two unit course during the Summer Session, titled, “Introduction to the U.S. Legal System.” Credits from this course will be applied to the minimum 24 credit requirement for graduation. This course is subject to registration and tuition fees.

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) & The Center for English as a Second Language (CESL)

Proficiency in English
International students must demonstrate proficiency in English as one of the conditions for admission to the IPLP LLM or the SJD Program. Submission of a minimum score of 600 (or an equivalent computer-based score) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for all applicants whose native language is not English.

International students must arrange for their testing and test reporting through TOEFL Services.

Contact information:
TOEFL Services, Educational Testing Service
P.O. Box 6151
Princeton, NJ 08541-6151
E-mail Address:

Pursuant to the Graduate College admissions policy at the University of Arizona, applicants who have completed two years of full-time, upper division, academic study in the U.S., or who have received a bachelor's or graduate degree from institutions in the United States, English-speaking Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, or New Zealand are exempt from submitting TOEFL scores.

However, if the student has been residing outside these countries since completing study or earning a degree, he or she may be required to submit current TOEFL scores as part of the admissions process.

The Center for English as a Second Language (CESL)
Prospective students who lack college-level English proficiency or who would like to increase their English ability can attend full-time English language training on campus at the Center for English as a Second Language (CESL). Full semester or summer term sessions carry no college credit. However, students can meet the Graduate College's English proficiency requirement for admission by completing a full-time day program at CESL and obtaining written verification from the Director of CESL that they have attained satisfactory proficiency in the English language.

Further information can be requested from:
The Center for English as a Second Language
1100 E. James E. Rogers Way
The University of Arizona, P.O. Box 210024
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0024, U.S.A.
Phone: 520.621.1362
Web Link:

<- return to top