Prof. Anaya Conducts Official Visit to Canada, October 7 - 15, 2013
Prof. Anaya, UN Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, is on his first official visit to Canada to examine the situation of indigenous peoples in the country. His agenda can be found here; a press release about the visit is here.
UPDATED: Additional media reports about Prof. Anaya’s visit and his statement concerning indigenous rights in Canada:
- UN News Centre, UN experts on indigenous issues urge greater focus on environment, women’s rights, October 22, 2013;
- The Manitoban, UN special rapporteur highlights First Nations issues in eight-day Canadian tour, October 22, 2013;
- Seattle Post-Intelligencer, UN: Canada faces crisis over indigenous issues, October 21, 2013.
UPDATED: Media reports about Prof. Anaya's statement about his visit to Canada:
- CBC News, ITK supports findings of UN aboriginal envoy, October 16, 2013;
- Windsor Star, Canada’s relations with aboriginals in ‘crisis’, October 16, 2013;
- Vancouver Sun, Ottawa urged to be more flexible in B.C. treaty talks, October 16, 2013;
- Star Phoenix (Saskatoon), Buffalo River puts faith in UN, October 16, 2013;
- CBC News, UN aboriginal envoy says Canada is facing a ‘crisis’, October 15 - 16, 2013;
- Ottawa Sun, UN special rapporteur: Canada in ‘crisis’ with First Nations communities, October 15, 2013;
- Huffington Post Canada, James Anaya, UN Official, Backs Inquiry Into Missing, Murdered Aboriginal Women, October 15, 2013;
- Global News, UN investigator urges Ottawa not to ‘rush’ First Nations education, October 15, 2013;
- Aboriginal Peoples Television Network (APTN), UN’s Anaya calls on Harper government to change course on First Nation education, missing women’s inquiry and TRC, October 15, 2013;
- AFP (Agence France-Presse), Canada natives facing ‘crisis’: UN envoy, October 15, 2013;
- CTV News, Canada faces a ‘crisis’ on aboriginal reserves: UN investigator, October 15, 2013.
UPDATED. Media reports about Prof. Anaya’s visit:
- CBC News, UN rapporteur to visit Saskatchewan First Nation, October 13, 2013;
- CTV News, UN investigator visits Manitoba reserve where some homes lack running water, October 12, 2013;
- CTV News, Hundreds fill Portage and Main to welcome UN Rapporteur on Indigenous Peoples, October 12, 2013;
- CBC News, UN rep visits Winnipeg, and Manitoba First Nation, October 12, 2013;
- Vancouver 24 hrs, UN envoy hears aboriginal concerns, October 11, 2013;
- Nunatsiaq Online, United Nations rapporteur hears Inuit groups’ concerns, October 10, 2013;
- Calgary Herald, UN advocate to offer advice on First Nations issues, October 7, 2013;
- Toronto Star, A UN envoy steps into the Canadian fire, October 7, 2013;
- The First Perspective, UN’s fact-finder on First Nations sets off on Canadian mission, October 7, 2013;
- Huffington Post Canada, James Anaya, UN Fact-Finder, Arrives In Canada To Survey Concerns Of Aboriginal Peoples, October 6, 2013.